Watch a pro
About the job
Install, maintain, and repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes. May install or service street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems.
What you'll do
- Fasten small metal or plastic boxes to walls to house electrical switches or outlets.
- Provide preliminary sketches or cost estimates for materials or services.
- Provide assistance during emergencies by operating floodlights or generators, placing flares, or driving needed vehicles.
- Perform physically demanding tasks, such as digging trenches to lay conduit or moving or lifting heavy objects.
- Assemble, install, test, or maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, or fixtures, using hand tools or power tools.
- Perform business management duties, such as maintaining records or files, preparing reports, or ordering supplies or equipment.
- Install ground leads and connect power cables to equipment, such as motors.
- Direct or train workers to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures.
- Construct or fabricate parts, using hand tools, according to specifications.
- Repair or replace wiring, equipment, or fixtures, using hand tools or power tools.
Things you need to know
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.