Watch a pro
About the job
Operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators.
What you'll do
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts, using machines equipped with interchangeable hammers.
- Shovel blacktop.
- Drive and operate curbing machines to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.
- Drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
- Operate oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Install dies, cutters, and extensions to screeds onto machines, using hand tools.
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mixes.
- Place strips of material such as cork, asphalt, or steel into joints, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
- Control paving machines to push dump trucks and to maintain a constant flow of asphalt or other material into hoppers or screeds.
Things you need to know
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.